If I’m struggling, what do I do?

If you have existing issues, tell KCP-USA immediately; don’t wait until you are in Japan. While still in the States, arrange an action plan for emergencies that includes how to reach your practitioner, family, and student coordinator, and share it with all involved.


If you have a problem while in the program—drugs, alcohol, sexual harassment, anxiety, depression, eating disorder, and so on—KCP coordinators and their staff are available. Go to them right away and explain the problem. It will remain confidential. They will be able to assist you.

If needed, you will be referred to competent professionals. Unlike in the U.S., there are no support services of this nature on campuses abroad, so you are financially responsible for any treatment. The cost tends to be less expensive than in the U.S., and your health insurance may cover it.